Monday, December 1, 2008

I survived Black Friday!

The whole week of Thanksgiving I was sick. Heck, I didn't even get out of bed on Wednesday. However, I had promised myself that I was going to participate in Black Friday and get up early to do some shopping no matter how many DayQuils I had to take. :) I forgot to buy Nyquil that night and consequently didn't fall asleep until about 12:30am. My alarm clock promptly woke me up at 3:30am. Amazingly, I was able to fall out of bed, shower, and head out the door by 4:15am. I picked up my friend, Tiffany, and together we waited in line at Target for an hour before they opened at 6am. Good thing we got there when we did; about 100+ people arrived shortly after we did tripling the length of the line. The time was passed by chatting about perspective deals amongst ourselves and our fellow linewaiters. I have to admit I was scared as we were let into the store; some people had a vicious killer look in their eye as they ran toward the special deals of the day. Aside from the lady who repeated rammed my ankles with her cart while complaining that I needed to "push my way through" the 50-something carts that were blocking in the aisle, I had a good time. We successfully shopped Target and Walmart. I have to admit though that I was exhausted by the end of it. Of course, that didn't stop me from going to the outlet mall later with Eddie. Hehe.

All in all, not a bad experience. My secret? Stay away from the stores anywhere close to the mall. We went to the recently built Target and Walmart out on Lake Pleasant Pkwy and I think that is what saved us. Smart thinking, Nikki.

6 comments:

Kethry said...

Did you hear about the guy who was trampled to death at Wal-Mart? It happened out in New York, on Long Island.

So, I am very glad to hear that you survived.

Nikki and Edward Moure said...

Yeah, I read about it just after I posted. It said that people who tried to help him were injured as well. How horrible is that?

The Payne family said...

Wow, you are a trooper. I have never done the black friday thing. Is it really worth it? Must but I guess otherwise people wouldn't do it I suppose.

Nikki and Edward Moure said...

I kinda just do it for the fun of it. It's a rush. I didn't get a lot of deals that I wouldn't have been able to get later, but I had fun. It's also fun to mess with the people that take it seriously.

Kethry said...

You are mean Nikki. Messing with those serious shoppers. (Not to mention a little bit foolhardy.) I used to have to work on Black Friday. There is no way I ever want to purposefully go into the madhouse that is serious shopping on that day. I will admit to going to Borders at around noon on Friday, but it was just to read, not to actually buy anything.

Sher said...

that sux you were sick, hope you're feeling better. Good for you for toughing out the crazy crowds! Yikes! lol.